Skip to main content

Lightweight Title Future Gets Clearer: We're Getting Islam Makhachev vs Beneil Dariush

 Alright guys, I'm back and the posts are back. Honestly, I was tired, I used the week off of school to sort of chill out and reset. I think we all needed it. I didn't watch the Triller Triad thing this weekend or the boxing, so I have nothing to say because I didn't see any of it. I did read that Mike Perry won his fight, so good for him. I could have continued the MMA Thanksgiving series, but I felt like I was going to end up repeating myself a lot, so I just opted to relax and let everyone enjoy their Thanksgiving week without my nonsense. Now that we're back and this article will being going out late, let's jump right into things.

I don't remember what day it was, but within the last few days, we got an announcement that I first saw come from Brett Okamoto that Islam Makhachev will return to the octagon in a main event on February 26 against fellow top 5 lightweight contender Beneil Dariush. Obviously, this sort of clears the path for Justin Gaethje to get the next title shot. While it seems as if this is a number one contenders fight for the title shot after, the timing of this just seems a little off to me. We saw Islam defeat Dan Hooker in late October and the talk coming out of that win was that Islam could potentially get the title shot against the winner of Poirier vs Oliveira on December 11. The following week saw Justin Gaethje defeat Michael Chandler in an instant classic that one upped Islam's performance and put him in the lead for the title shot. The next title shot overall is going to Dustin Poirier in a little over 2 weeks, so I'm not sure why the Islam vs Dariush fight was booked for late February. Whoever walks away with the title on the 11th, assuming they come out relatively healthy, will be looking to defend the title in March at the earliest, but realistically in April or May. That would give Justin Gaethje a 5 or 6 month layoff, which is pretty unfortunate from a fan perspective because we want to see as many Justin Gaethje fights as possible. However, to have Islam and Dariush fight in late February sets that winner up for another 6-ish month layoff of their own, assuming the belt holder at the time is healthy enough for a normal turnaround. I ultimately think I agree with the decision to go with Gaethje first over Islam just because of their last performances. Gaethje had a great win over Michael Chandler, while Islam had an equally impressive win over a short notice replacement Dan Hooker. I think for Islam, another high level fight before a title shot would serve him well. A short notice Dan Hooker is Islam's toughest test by a wide margin. I think Drew Dober may have been ranked 15th at the time of their fight and Thiago Moises may have been 13th or something, but I don't think one single fight inside the top 10 jumps you right into the title fight, especially given the current state of that division. This will be Islam's first fight against a top 5 opponent and I think it will be a tough test for him. 

I do want to at least mention Beneil Dariush because I'm a fan of his. He reminds me of a professor I had a couple of years ago and I love his every man sort of attitude. He's been on a great run of late and is coming off the biggest win of his career against Tony Ferguson at UFC 252 last May. Dariush has the solid grappling base to deal with Islam to some extent I believe and we've seen Dariush be dangerous on the feet in his recent wins over Scott Holtzman and Drakkar Klose. I'll probably do a detailed breakdown for it since it's a main event when the time comes, but at least right now, my feeling is that Islam will and probably should be the favorite. I think Dariush needs to make it a fight and by that I mean a dog fight. If he can make it dirty and keep Islam guessing between the grappling and striking, while getting in his face, I think that's his best route to a victory. The cleaner it looks, the more I think it favors Islam as he is probably the more technically skilled fighter. All the talk surrounding this has been about Islam's path to the title, which he's completely earned, but let's not act like this isn't the same opportunity for Dariush. With a win over Islam, that would clearly become the best win of his career (even though Feguson's name is more recognizable) and would put him in that same driver's seat for a title shot. Dariush took some time off after the Ferguson fight to spend some time with his family and new child, so he should be fresh and injury free, assuming a healthy training camp. Dariush randomly missed weight for the first time in his career against Holtzman, but he's never had that problem before so as long as that's in control, he should have no issue getting the next title shot with a win over Makhachev.

I'm going to have another post tomorrow that branches off of this slightly, so I'm not going to get into too much more here. What do you guys think? Are you satisfied with Gaethje seemingly getting the next title shot? Who do you think gets the win is Makhachev vs Dariush? Let me know in the comments and thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Was Deontay Wilder's Legacy on the Line?

 If you didn't read yesterday's post about Mackenzie Dern and Marina Rodriguez, then you missed that I said my gap in posts was due to midterms and then I took this past weekend to recover, but I will be back to posting regularly now. I know this fight was a few weekends ago and I also said that I wouldn't likely be commenting on it but here we are. I'm not here to talk down on Deontay Wilder as some have done and if you are someone who reads my posts, you know I am not a fight analyst type. I have been open in saying that I don't like boxing as much as MMA nor do I know as much about the sport itself or the fighters. However, what I wanted to comment on was largely a talking point of the broadcast in the lead up to the fight. At least for the American broadcast, they kept mentioning that this fight had a lot to say about Deontay Wilder's legacy and that if he were to lose then they seemed to imply that we would only remember Wilder as the guy who lost to Tyson

UFC Vegas 75 Full Card Picks and Betting Tips

 After taking last week off from betting due to my vacation, we are back with a full, normal post this week. Last week's PPV wasn't as bad as I had initially thought it could be and the crowd was really into it, which made it feel bigger. Charles vs Dariush was fantastic as we expected and that was really all I was asking for. We have a decent enough Fight Night in front of us though. From top to bottom, I think this is one of the more fun cards we've gotten in a minute, but the main event does kind of fall flat for me. I'm just not that into Vettori or Cannonier, so it's not something I'm super pumped for even though it is a main event worthy fight and should be fine. Just to be clear,  my picks will be in the bolded font , and  the real results will be listed next to it in italics  after the fight is official. Official bets will be at the bottom. Bets are now being officially tracked at  BetMMA  as well. Modestas Bukauskas defeats Zac Pauga               Resul

UFC 278 Round Up: What's Next For Some of The Big Winners from Saturday's Card?

 UFC 278 ended up being a pretty solid night of competition. The main card didn't start off too hot with some less than interesting matchups, but it picked up with time and ended with two really solid fights with emotional elements that brought some added feeling to both bouts. The prelims provided some decent action as well. Even the fights that went to decision were pretty fun to watch for the most part. I already did reviews for the final two fights of the night, but we'll take the time here to briefly go through the rest of the card to talk about the performance for each winner and try to diagnose who their next opponent could be.  We started the night with flyweights and Victor Altamirano picked up a pretty nice win. He weathered an early storm before finding a finish of his own late in round one. This was an important win for Altamirano as it was his first in the UFC and brings him to 1-1 in the promotion. Now that he has the first win under his belt, he can focus on clim