Skip to main content

MMA Thanksgiving: Fight Addition

I really don't have enough to say about last weekend's main event to make an entire post about it or really the card as a whole, so I'm not going to waste your guys time. Since it is Thanksgiving this week in the United States, I figured I would do a series of posts of things we are thankful for in MMA. MMA is a sport where we complain a lot and there's a lot of things that need altered, fixed, or changed in some way, but we all still love it for what it is. In this series I'll go over the fight I'm thankful for, male and female fighter I'm thankful for, and I'll figure out some other things for later in the week. I'm going to keep this focused mostly on this year, but I'm not necessarily limiting myself to just this calendar year because I don't want to make it a yearly awards or anything like that because I'll do that in late December or early January. This addition of MMA Thanksgiving will focus on the fight that I'm most thankful for this year and maybe I'll mention a couple more as all time favorites or just some honorable mentions.

This one is probably easy, but I would be a liar to not say Justin Gaethje vs Michael Chandler only a few weeks ago at UFC 268. What I think makes this the fight I am most thankful for this year is that the build up and the fight itself delivered. This fight was being billed as a crazy war where both guys were going to stand and trade until someone fell and we've heard fighters say this in the past, but then the fight itself plays out differently. That wasn't the case with this one at all. Both men were perfectly content to take the others best shot just to land their own. We got the one knockdown in the second round by Gaethje with the uppercut, but other than that, we didn't see either fighter really back down at all. Gaethje was hurt on the feet for a brief moment, but in typical Justin Gaethje fashion, he just swung his way out of it. We saw Chandler grab onto a single leg after the knockdown just to be able to recover and we saw the one other huge slam takedown attempt where Gaethje was able to immediately scramble back to his feet. Another factor is that they had this fight lead off the card, mostly so Trevor Wittman didn't have to coach three in a row, but it still added to the mystique of it somehow. This fight was so much fun that it's almost hard to explain. We saw Michael Chandler appear on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani and he said something that really stood out to me. I don't think it's his quote because it sounds like something I've heard somewhere before, but I couldn't remember where. He said something to the extent of "people won't remember the wins and losses, they'll remember how you made them feel" and in this case, he's 100% right. This is the fight I am most thankful for this year because of how it made me feel. It provided me a moment with my brother and parents where we were all just captivated and "ohhing" and "awwing" after every shot landed. I think that's going to be a common theme for my most thankful series overall. Fights or moments or individuals who created a memory for me with my family will stick out and that's what this fight represented for me. After such a long two years with everything that covid has caused, having a moment like that watching this fight just felt different and I'm grateful that both of those men were game to create that moment for all of us.

There's also a couple other fights I want to mention from this year. Chandler vs Oliveira for the title created a similar moment for me. My mom specifically really excited for this fight, which is kind of a weird thing because she's not that kind of person. The fact that she was so into this matchup actually got me even more excited for it and the fight delivered a back and forth exciting round and a half. Conor vs Poirier II was a great night as well. Seeing Poirier flash knockout Conor McGregor wasn't something I was expecting because we had never seen Conor be knocked out before. Honestly, anything that gets Conor back in the cage is something I'm thankful for too, so him losing to Dustin twice and re-motivating him is a great thing as well. 

In terms of all time, some fights that I'm really thankful for are Usman vs Covington I, Condit vs Hardy, Diaz vs Daley, and Diaz vs McGregor I. The profile picture for blog's twitter account isn't Nick Diaz Army for no reason after all. Carlos Condit is one of my all time favorites and his knockout of Dan Hardy (almost said Greg Hardy) is my favorite moment of his to go along with the kick he landed against GSP. Usman vs Covington I is I think what my answer is when people ask for my favorite fight of all time. Nate vs Conor is probably the most iconic rivalry in the modern history of the sport unless you want to say Khabib vs Conor, but Khabib largely didn't participate in the trash talk until they were in the cage, that's what makes Conor and Nate different for me. This is a little short, but reading all of my personal connection to these fights isn't what this is all about. Everyone always says to leave comments to get their interactions up, but I really mean it. I want to know what fight you are most thankful for this year and all time. Leave your answers below and feel free to explain. I see how many clicks I get, but I've never gotten a comment before and I would love to interact with some of you so either tweet at me or leave your comments below. Happy Thanksgiving everyone and enjoy your week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Was Deontay Wilder's Legacy on the Line?

 If you didn't read yesterday's post about Mackenzie Dern and Marina Rodriguez, then you missed that I said my gap in posts was due to midterms and then I took this past weekend to recover, but I will be back to posting regularly now. I know this fight was a few weekends ago and I also said that I wouldn't likely be commenting on it but here we are. I'm not here to talk down on Deontay Wilder as some have done and if you are someone who reads my posts, you know I am not a fight analyst type. I have been open in saying that I don't like boxing as much as MMA nor do I know as much about the sport itself or the fighters. However, what I wanted to comment on was largely a talking point of the broadcast in the lead up to the fight. At least for the American broadcast, they kept mentioning that this fight had a lot to say about Deontay Wilder's legacy and that if he were to lose then they seemed to imply that we would only remember Wilder as the guy who lost to Tyson

UFC Vegas 75 Full Card Picks and Betting Tips

 After taking last week off from betting due to my vacation, we are back with a full, normal post this week. Last week's PPV wasn't as bad as I had initially thought it could be and the crowd was really into it, which made it feel bigger. Charles vs Dariush was fantastic as we expected and that was really all I was asking for. We have a decent enough Fight Night in front of us though. From top to bottom, I think this is one of the more fun cards we've gotten in a minute, but the main event does kind of fall flat for me. I'm just not that into Vettori or Cannonier, so it's not something I'm super pumped for even though it is a main event worthy fight and should be fine. Just to be clear,  my picks will be in the bolded font , and  the real results will be listed next to it in italics  after the fight is official. Official bets will be at the bottom. Bets are now being officially tracked at  BetMMA  as well. Modestas Bukauskas defeats Zac Pauga               Resul

UFC 278 Round Up: What's Next For Some of The Big Winners from Saturday's Card?

 UFC 278 ended up being a pretty solid night of competition. The main card didn't start off too hot with some less than interesting matchups, but it picked up with time and ended with two really solid fights with emotional elements that brought some added feeling to both bouts. The prelims provided some decent action as well. Even the fights that went to decision were pretty fun to watch for the most part. I already did reviews for the final two fights of the night, but we'll take the time here to briefly go through the rest of the card to talk about the performance for each winner and try to diagnose who their next opponent could be.  We started the night with flyweights and Victor Altamirano picked up a pretty nice win. He weathered an early storm before finding a finish of his own late in round one. This was an important win for Altamirano as it was his first in the UFC and brings him to 1-1 in the promotion. Now that he has the first win under his belt, he can focus on clim