Skip to main content

UFC 269 Roundup: Emmett vs Ige and Neal vs Ponzinibbio

 This will be my last post regarding UFC 269 finally. I'm going to do a combined post for both Josh Emmett vs Dan Ige and Geoff Neal vs Santiago Ponzinibbio because I don't think I have enough to say about each in order to do a full write up for each fight. Both of these fights took place within the rankings though, so they do have an effect on the future of their respective divisions. 

I'll start with Ige and Emmett. This was actually a pretty big fight in the featherweight division, especially after Josh Emmett got the win. Emmett was returning after an injury and surgeries kept him out for well over a year and he bounced back nicely. That wasn't the best version of Josh Emmett I've ever seen, but he did enough to get the win and he looked very powerful. This puts him in the top 6 and with the Holloway and Volkanovski saga looking like it's finally nearing it's conclusion, the division is going to need some future contenders. Giga Chikadze is one guying making that push and now Josh Emmett is making a push to be another. I want to see him fight Chan Sung Jung, The Korean Zombie, next. I think that is clearly the fight to make for Emmett and a win there would realistically position him for a title opportunity. 

For Ige, he's been a mixed bag of late. He's lost his last 2 and 3 of his last 4, with the only win coming over Gavin Tucker. Those losses are Josh Emmett, Calvin Kattar, and The Korean Zombie. It's been a little hard for Ige to get over the hump. He's way too good for unranked opponents and can handle everyone outside the top 10, but whenever he gets that step up, he has come up short. That's not to say that he's destined to continue that forever, but that's just his career path so far. I think a fight against Sodiq Yusuff makes sense as they're both coming off of a loss. If not limiting him to fighters coming off a loss, I think Bryce Mitchell and Shane Burgos also make some sense for Ige. From an entertainment perspective, the Burgos matchup sounds like the most fun to me. 

The Neal vs Ponzinibbio fight was strangely the most uninteresting fight to watch on the entire card. Neither guy looked bad, but I didn't walk away especially impressed or excited for them either. Geoff Neal has had some of the same problems that I talked about above with Dan Ige. He's been able to dispatch of his competition outside the top 10 (including a win over Belal Muhammand before his latest run into the top 5), but has struggled when he's gotten that step up. Before this, he had lost 2 in a row to Neil Magny and Stephen Thompson. Welterweight is so tough to project because it seems like no one towards the top actually wants to fight. Leon has more than earned his title shot at this point, so I don't blame him. Colby is still in the recovery process from the Usman fight, but he only fought once between his two title shots. Masvidal was booked but then suffered an injury, so I can't blame him too much. I expect him to fight Colby next by the way. That fight just makes itself. Obviously Belal and Wonderboy just fought. I don't really know what Burns and Luque are waiting for though. Maybe Geoff Neal matches up with Sean Brady next. I think that's a solid fight for both guys coming off of a win.

Santiago Ponzinibbio has had a rough go of it lately. He fought 3 times in 2021 after not fighting since 2018 due to some really serious health issues. He's gone 1-2 in those fights defeating Miguel Baeza and losing to Neal and Li Jingliang. I think Ponzinibbio just needs a step down in competition. His health had him away from the cage for 3 years for a reason. He's still in the recovery process in terms of really feeling himself from a competitive standpoint. I think it seems likely that Ponzinibbio fights someone outside the rankings and also coming off of a loss themselves. If I had to throw out some names, I would say Jake Matthews, Nicolas Dalby, and Alex Oliveira make varying degrees of sense. If not limited to someone coming off of a loss, I think Daniel Rodriguez and Alex Morono can fit what the UFC is looking for in his next opponent. There's other options like Khaos Williams and Randy Brown, but I'm not sure they're really ready for that heavy of a push just yet. 

What do you guys think? How many fights away from a title shot is Josh Emmett? The Korean Zombie is way too obvious for his next fight right? What do you do with Dan Ige? Who would you like to see him fight next? What about Geoff Neal? Who makes sense for him within the welterweight rankings? Where does Santiago Ponzinibbio go from here? What makes sense for him going forward? Leave any and all thoughts in the comments. Thanks for reading and have a good one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Was Deontay Wilder's Legacy on the Line?

 If you didn't read yesterday's post about Mackenzie Dern and Marina Rodriguez, then you missed that I said my gap in posts was due to midterms and then I took this past weekend to recover, but I will be back to posting regularly now. I know this fight was a few weekends ago and I also said that I wouldn't likely be commenting on it but here we are. I'm not here to talk down on Deontay Wilder as some have done and if you are someone who reads my posts, you know I am not a fight analyst type. I have been open in saying that I don't like boxing as much as MMA nor do I know as much about the sport itself or the fighters. However, what I wanted to comment on was largely a talking point of the broadcast in the lead up to the fight. At least for the American broadcast, they kept mentioning that this fight had a lot to say about Deontay Wilder's legacy and that if he were to lose then they seemed to imply that we would only remember Wilder as the guy who lost to Tyson

UFC Vegas 75 Full Card Picks and Betting Tips

 After taking last week off from betting due to my vacation, we are back with a full, normal post this week. Last week's PPV wasn't as bad as I had initially thought it could be and the crowd was really into it, which made it feel bigger. Charles vs Dariush was fantastic as we expected and that was really all I was asking for. We have a decent enough Fight Night in front of us though. From top to bottom, I think this is one of the more fun cards we've gotten in a minute, but the main event does kind of fall flat for me. I'm just not that into Vettori or Cannonier, so it's not something I'm super pumped for even though it is a main event worthy fight and should be fine. Just to be clear,  my picks will be in the bolded font , and  the real results will be listed next to it in italics  after the fight is official. Official bets will be at the bottom. Bets are now being officially tracked at  BetMMA  as well. Modestas Bukauskas defeats Zac Pauga               Resul

UFC 278 Round Up: What's Next For Some of The Big Winners from Saturday's Card?

 UFC 278 ended up being a pretty solid night of competition. The main card didn't start off too hot with some less than interesting matchups, but it picked up with time and ended with two really solid fights with emotional elements that brought some added feeling to both bouts. The prelims provided some decent action as well. Even the fights that went to decision were pretty fun to watch for the most part. I already did reviews for the final two fights of the night, but we'll take the time here to briefly go through the rest of the card to talk about the performance for each winner and try to diagnose who their next opponent could be.  We started the night with flyweights and Victor Altamirano picked up a pretty nice win. He weathered an early storm before finding a finish of his own late in round one. This was an important win for Altamirano as it was his first in the UFC and brings him to 1-1 in the promotion. Now that he has the first win under his belt, he can focus on clim